Accessibility statement for http://www.chesterfieldvenuehire.co.uk.
This accessibility statement applies to http://www.chesterfieldvenuehire.co.uk.
This website is run by Chesterfield Venues which is owned and managed by Chesterfield Borough Council. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website.
We are continuously working to:
- Ensure that alt tags that describe an image (where currently possible)
- include clear link descriptions (where currently possible)
To make navigation as easy as possible. You should be able to
- Zoom in up to 300% without the text and embedded videos spilling off the screen
- Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard, including media controls on embedded YouTube videos
We have also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
Although we try to work to the accepted standards for accessibility and usability, it may not always be possible for this website to meet all standards. For example, sometimes the use of third-party applications may cause accessibility issues for some users. If you experience any problems please contact us so we can work to improve your experience.
Advances in technology mean that most devices and web browsers have their own built in accessibility aids or assistive technology to help you to access the internet.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible, but we are working where possible to correct this. Please do contact us if you notice anything we have missed.
- Our online forms such as our email sign up form which appears in the footer of our website can be navigated using a keyboard, but the fields do not highlight when they are tabbed onto
What to do if you can’t access parts of this website
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, audio recording or other formats:
We will consider your request and we will reply to you within 2 working days.
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please email email@example.com. Please include:
- ‘Website accessibility’ in the subject line
- the web address (URL) of the page with the issue
- details of the issue.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
Find out how to contact us.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Chesterfield Borough Council which owns and manages Chesterfield Venues is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Website and Mobile Applications) (No.2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances and exemptions listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Some images do not have a text alternative (alt text), so the information in them isn’t available to people using a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (Non-text Content). We plan to fix this by 31st December 2020.
- Links should be clear and easy to understand so users with assistive technology, like a screen reader, can easily and efficiently navigate where they need to go on a website. Currently, on http://www.chesterfieldvenuehire.co.uk some links so not allow a clear description to be entered and this needs to be fixed on the HTML. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.4 (Link Purpose – In Context) and 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value). We plan to fix this by 31st December 2020.
- There are forms on chesterfieldvenuehire.co.uk such as email sign up forms which do not clearly label what the fields are for, do not highlight if an error is made when they are being completed, do not have instructions detailed within the fields, do not highlight if an error is made when they are being completed and are not labelled. This makes it difficult for a customer who is using assistive technology such as a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.3.5 (Identify Input Purpose), 3.3.1 (Error Identification), 3.3.2 (Labels or Instructions), 3.3.3 (Error Suggestion) and 4.1.2 (Name, Role, Value). We plan to fix this by 31st December 2020.
Navigation and accessing information
There’s no way to skip the repeated content in the page header on some of our websites (for example, a ‘skip to main content’ option). This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 2.4.1 (bypass blocks). we are planning to add skip to content on all of our websites by 31 December 2020.
There are no disproportionate burdens at present.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
- The regulations do not apply to online maps and mapping services, as long as essential information is provided in an accessible digital manner for maps intended for navigational use. We use embedded google maps to help identify items such as the location of our venues. We do not plan to change these maps, but we will ensure that a full address is included next to any map.
PDFs and other documents
Many of our older PDFs and Word documents don’t meet accessibility standards – for example, they may not be structured so they’re accessible to a screen reader. This doesn’t meet WCAG 2.1 success criterion 4.1.2 (name, role value).
The accessibility regulations don’t require us to fix PDFs or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services. We are currently working to update the website and, although not an essential requirement under the guidelines, we will be removing all PDFs where possible by 31 December 2020.
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
- We are currently working on improving our website content and HTML to fix and reduce some of the criteria we do not meet within this accessibility statement.
- We are working with members of the Chesterfield Theatres Access Group to gather feedback and suggestions on our website as the venue hire website covers hire of the Pomegranate Theatre and Winding Wheel Theatre to which this group is affiliated
- Staff members who create content for this website will undertake relevant training. An example of this is creating effective alt tag descriptions.
How we tested our website
This website is tested for accessibility, quality assurance and search engine optimisation every week. The automated tests are carried out by Sitemorse who produce reports detailing any issues which we then work to resolve. Manual checks have also been carried out on this website and this will be reviewed on an annual basis.
If you would like to know more about our accessibility checks, please email firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘website accessibility’ in the subject line.
This statement was prepared on 20 September 2020. It was last updated on 23 September 2020.